Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Dinner with the Parents

Not quite "meet the parents," but I shall dub this "dinner with the Parents."


Today, (well, yesterday 7/3) I had dinner with OV and her family at Chez Panisse. This restaurant is supposedly owned and operated by a famous chef (Alice Waters).

I had researched many restaurants that I want to eat at, and this one is right on the top of my list. I'm glad this restaurant did not disappoint. My restaurant-picking-reputation with OV's parents was riding on this meal! The mood, the building, the atmosphere, and the interiors... all spoke of class and elegance. The food was also fantastic.

The special thing (to me) about this meal, is that... this is really, the first time I actually pick out a restaurant, and had "elder guests" (not that OV's parents are old, but at least are my elders)... and I was "host"... in Chinese terms, I paid... I felt, in a way, special... to be privileged and honored. The meal with OV's family--mom, dad, alice, and maggy--was a (tiny) bit awkward and stressful. But all in all, everyone had a great time, and an exceptionally delicious meal. I really enjoyed it. I hope I left a good impression on OV's parents in all my table manners and behaviors. Did my best.

Just for good memory sake... Here's everything we've had:

Appetizer:
Garden lettuce salad
Rocket and frisee salad with duck rillettes and pickled okra
Local halibut brandade baked in the wood oven
Roasted figs with chicken liver crostini and fried herbs

Entrée:
Watson Ranch lamb shoulder braised with chilies and garlic; with saffron rice, tomato, confit, and yogurt
Grilled Hoffman Farm chicken al mattone with braised escarole, English peas, and potato-pancetta gratin
Fish and shellfish cakes with green beans, new potatoes, and aioli
Spaghetti alla Norma: pasta with eggplant, tomato, hot pepper, basil, and ricotta salata
Pizza with wild nettles and pecorino

Dessert:
Chocolate ice cream with Grand Marnier cream and chocolate wafers
Nectarine and summer berry cobbler with honey ice cream

Drink:
Navarro Vineyards Gewurztraminer Grape Juice (2005)

~~

Of note, I'd probably say the halibut, the lamb shoulder and the grape juice were the best. Nevertheless, everything was a delicacy in its own right.

~~

Back track the day's events: woke up around 11pm. Had lunch with Clement and Andrew. Chat. Drop Andrew off at Jessie's Place. Drop Clement off at auto shop/rental car place. Come home and rest. Pick OV's family up in van. Drove to Berkeley. Chez Panisse. Ate. Done. Drop OV's family off. Chat with OV. Come home... Done.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home